Thursday, June 23, 2011

Stripz: Collected Ideas



I've been cleaning out the bulging paper scrap packets in the studio lately - those of you who know me well know what a painful process this is for me. I had decided I was going to be really hard on myself, and throw away those fistfuls of half-inch strips that somehow accumulate... and of course immediately I needed a bunch of them and they weren't there!! So I decided instead that I would collect ideas that specifically use those half-inch scraps. And, I thought I'd share the results with you. I'll post something on this theme every couple of weeks for awhile, until I feel satisfied that I've accumulated the majority of good ideas in one place. From this point on, you can find them all together by clicking on "Stripz" in the sidebar.

I'm going to begin by revisiting a card I made using 1" strips of DSP as the background, because it also features the star punch which is retiring June 30th. I like the fact that this card can be used for Independence Day or simply as a nautical theme for a guy or kid birthday... or anyone who enjoys sailing or is a Veteran. I've made the sentiment general, too - on the small star beneath the word "celebrate" it's just possible to pick out the word "YOU".

Simply collect together a fistful of likely-looking strips. Sponge the leading edges (in this example I used Night of Navy to sponge red and white patterned papers). Cut a piece from a scrap of card stock slightly smaller than your card base. Glue all your strips onto this piece, overlapping slightly and allowing them to hang over the edges. When it's covered, flip it over and use the edges of the CS to trim against. Ta da! An interesting background that uses up loads of those little strips. -Kathy