Thursday, October 31, 2013

Jump-the-Pumpkin Lantern


So my sister and I were wandering the "nobody-loves-me aisles" at Victorian Trading Company on a little day trip in August. I am not a person who tends to decorate for Halloween, but I fell for this little fella playing "jump-the-pumpkin"!

 It was marked waaaay down, due to a broken moon (and, I later discovered, right ankle). What to do?










I thought about the new air-dry clay in the Stampin' Up! catalog. Could I create an external reinforcement or framework with the clay? I decided to try.


After using re-inker to tint my clay (I matched a green bracelet worn by my clown), I chose my favorite leaf shape (more ivy than pumpkin!) and pulled and patted to form the lobes. The point of my dry embossing tool worked pretty well to incise veins. Carefully, I wrapped it around the broken horn of the moon, repeating the process several times until all cracks and missing chunks were covered.


I also discovered that I could make a very creditable "vine curl" by rolling a thin "worm" of clay and just letting it curve and loop naturally. This was a great way to cover some hairline cracks without over-doing the leaves. I added curvature and dimension to the leaves and curls as I gently pressed them in place.

I worked my way from the front, around the side, to the back. I allowed all the leaves to dry in place for 24-48 hours.

I matched some blue clay to another bracelet to add a cuff above the broken ankle.

Once they were dry, I carefully peeled up just enough of the leaf to
apply a generous amount of Tombow Multipurpose Glue. The
glue dries clear and forms a permanent bond between the clay
and the ceramic lamp's surface.


I wish my photography skills were up to showing you how fine it looked lighting a dark corner near the bathtub (our Halloween grotto was once again in the bathroom!).

As I was working on the pumpkin jumper, I noticed that his tunic sported a row of little paper pom-poms down the front. They made me think of our creped filter paper, so I made a larger size and incorporated that on my cookie cylinder (a repurposed Piroulini can), as you see here.

I had designed some Halloween tags in My Digital Studio way back in July, so I had those on hand, and I added a rosette made with our Designer Rosette Bigz die and another aged paper clay button. You will also notice strips of trim from the Tasteful Trim Bigz die and one made with a retired border punch. The paper is all held to the can with Sticky Strip, which I love because it provides instant adhesion! A little squirt of Log Cabin spritzer gives the pom pom some textural interest.

I hope this project has inspired you to restore something broken and useless to a place of honor in your own life.

At any rate, Happy Halloween, friends! May you enjoy something quirky and unexpected on this day of disguises and may your treat bags be filled with good things.

-Kathy







No comments: