Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Visits



We visited my grandmother each year on the first Sunday in June, "Decoration Day." We'd haul wreaths or flowers to the cemetery down the road from her house, and walk among the tombstones telling the stories we knew of those who had lived and died so many years before. It wasn't in the least frightening on those sunny Sundays, with family we seldom saw and picnic lunch. The only thing that really frightened us was having to use the outhouses!

The motorcycle image made me recall getting out on the open road, and all the preparations that accompanied a trip to Grandmother's house. The card was prepared by Karen Herrmann for a demonstrator swap (thanks, Karen!). I want to call your attention to two things. First, the background texture was created by pouncing a small wad of plastic wrap onto an ink pad and then onto the card stock. You pick up an amazing amount of ink this way! Secondly, I created my own embellishments by stamping the "typewriter keys" and punching them out, then coating them with Crystal Effects as described in the Faux Brads technique tip. I popped them up on dimensionals for added, well, dimension!

This year for Memorial Day, tell the stories of those now gone, tell your own stories! It's important to know where we come from. Kathy

1 comment:

JSCA said...

I love the plastic wrap idea! I can see that technique being used in a multitude of applications.