Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Christmas is Coming...





I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it's time to get serious about those holiday gifts and greetings! Monique sneaked in a couple of ideas way back in July (did you catch them?!), just to light a spark, but we'll be posting from here on out with increasing frequency as we collect ideas to spark your creativity.


To ease you into the mode, I want to continue the recent theme of "switching up" a good design from one purpose to another. When I conceptualized this card, I was thinking of 1940s aprons and tablecloths, can you tell?! I began with pair of returning color favorites, Baja Breeze and Pink Pirouette. And then, because I just love it, I added the shimmery Presto Patterns DSP, cut with the Big Shot using our Top Note die. I stamped and "stamped off" several times on the pattern paper, then added additional color by sponging, pulling in a little olive.


Next I chose a sentiment and stamped repeatedly on the base for visual interest (and to reinforce the message), then glued down the DSP. Digging out a bunch of white scraps, I made the flowers. Those two-step stamps are such fun! And being me, I sat and reveled in cutting out every last one of them. My first grade teacher would be so proud! I also cut a few little leaves with the Big Shot to combine with the flowers. I grouped these in one corner, popping some of them up on dimensionals, and interspersed some leaves.

Finally, I stamped a sentiment to go opposite the flowers. In the first instance I gave it visual weight by gathering ribbon onto the back of the oval (which I edged in sticky strip), and attaching a red button. On the Christmas version, I simply used Riding Hood Red for the sentiment and the matting, since a strong color calls attention to itself and has "visual weight".

Now, I admit this card is not suitable for mass production, but it's a great idea for a grandma, aunt, or any special person who appreciates vintage linens. And the beauty of it is that as you're producing, you can make a couple for both your birthday and your holiday card stashes! Kathy

Stamps:
Greenhouse Garden, Elements of Style, Grateful Greetings
Inks:
Baja Breeze, Pink Pirouette, Riding Hood Red, Old Olive
Paper:
Baja Breeze
, Old Olive, Riding Hood Red, Whisper White CS; Presto Patterns DSP
Accessories:
Little Leaves Sizzlet, Top Note die, Stampin' Dimensionals (vintage button and seam binding)

No comments: