Saturday, March 17, 2012

On St. Patrick's Day



I don't generally send St. Patrick's Day cards, but I've lately set myself a goal of sending at least two pieces of real mail per week, and I wanted to to send something with a smile to my aunt and cousin (my uncle died a week and a half ago). So, I did a little searching online for Irish lore, ran the type on SU! whisper white and very vanilla (it goes through my laser printer like a dream), and cranked out these two up in the studio.

Here's what the first one says on the inside, because one ought always be prepared to give a toast:


May those that love us, love us.
And those that don’t love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if he doesn’t turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we’ll know them by their limping.


And in the second card, a lovely traditional blessing:

May the blessing of the rain be on you—
the soft sweet rain.
May it fall upon your spirit
so that all the little flowers may spring up,
and shed their sweetness on the air.
May the blessing of the great rains be on you,
may they beat upon your spirit
and wash it fair and clean,
and leave there many a shining pool
where the blue of heaven shines,
and sometimes a star.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and yours. -Kathy

No comments: