Monday, October 26, 2009

Bloomin' Jellies Sunflower Pitcher



I have had more fun with the Treat Cups that SU! introduced in their holiday mini catalog! I wanted to post this one while we could still recall sunflowers growing...

I love it when I can reach for my scrap pockets to complete a project. Feels like "free"! I pulled out some yellows and greens, and stamped seven petals from the Sweet Centers stamp set in Durango and two or three leaf sets in Olive for each flower on green. I trimmed these out, leaving a 1/8" margin around the outside (makes cutting faster because it requires less detail, and gives a finished look to the project besides). Using the Circle Scissor Plus that Jessica donated to the studio, I also cut 2.5" backing circles to use as a base for the flowers.

Fill your treat cup with whatever you wish (I used pear flavored Jelly Bellies), being careful not to overfill lest they pop apart before their time! Remove the white waxed paper layer from the rim of the treat cup, and center onto a base circle. I held both above my head so I could see what I was doing. Run a line of Tombow Multi-Purpose glue (you're working with both plastic and paper here) around the edge of the treat cup, then lay one petal at a time onto the glue. Be sure the inside curve of the petal is against the side of the treat cup so that the rim is fully covered by the time you finish. I overlapped the petals just enough to cover the rim of the treat cup. Attach leaves to the back of the base circle. To attach the skewers, put the flowers face down and run a line of Tombow Multi on the back. Lay the skewer in this and weight down for a couple of hours until set. If you wish to adjust the height of the skewers, do so before glueing.

A few other helpful details: The neck of the watering can is smaller than the base. If you use a styrofoam egg you can insert it using the narrow dimension, then turn it sideways once it's in and wedge it into the bottom of the can to provide a base for your flowers. Add "grass" or shred to conceal the styrofoam. Due to the curvature of the watering can, I recommend Sticky Strip to adhere the sentiment label and leaves to the side of the can. The striped ribbon is tied to the handle with the polka dot ribbon.

Have fun making autumn last just a little longer! Kathy



All Materials Stampin' Up!

Stamps: Sweet Centers, Great Friend (sentiment)
Paper: scraps in yellows and greens
Ink: Dusty Durango and Old Olive classic
Accessories: Treat Cups, Dusty Durango 1/2" polka dot grosgrain, Chocolate Chip 1 1/4" striped grosgrain, Curly Label punch. Tombow Multi-Purpose Adheseive, Sticky Strip (from local craft of discount stores: egg-shaped styrofoam, galvanized watering can, wooden skewers, "grass" or shred, treat cup filler)

No comments: